[Fedora-directory-users] FDS on RedHat9

Radek Hladik radek at eadresa.cz
Mon Sep 11 14:08:36 UTC 2006

I have one old RH9 box which functions as a backup server. I'm
periodically backing up DB from primary FDS to it but it would be also
nice to have read-only replica for failover there. But I was not able to
compile FDS on it as there were some very strange compile errors when
compiling libraries for it. I have some ideas how to get it working and
I would like to ask for your opinion:
1) Run complete FDS+FC5 in vmware, but I think running extra kernel and
daemons will result in unnecessary overhead. On the other hand this
should work and as replication can happen only few times per day there
should be no big overhead till failover situation.
2) Run FDS binary for FC5/FC4 and copy all required libraries from FC5/4
and force FDS binary to use them. Or I can copy complete installed
FC5+FDS somewhere and chroot into it. This should eliminate overhead in
option 1 but the 2.4 kernel could be too old for FC5/4 libraries. I can
use some RHEL3 binaries and centos installation but I'm afraid of
compatibility of next FDS releases with those old OSes.

Do you have any other ideas or is someone running FS on RH9?

Radek

P.S. I'm stuck with RH9 as there is more important service running on
this box which requires RH9.