[Fedora-directory-users] FDS on RedHat9

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:38:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 16:08 +0200, Radek Hladik wrote:
> I have one old RH9 box which functions as a backup server. I'm
> periodically backing up DB from primary FDS to it but it would be also
> nice to have read-only replica for failover there. But I was not able to
> compile FDS on it as there were some very strange compile errors when
> compiling libraries for it. I have some ideas how to get it working and
> I would like to ask for your opinion:
> 1) Run complete FDS+FC5 in vmware, but I think running extra kernel and
> daemons will result in unnecessary overhead. On the other hand this
> should work and as replication can happen only few times per day there
> should be no big overhead till failover situation.
> 2) Run FDS binary for FC5/FC4 and copy all required libraries from FC5/4
> and force FDS binary to use them. Or I can copy complete installed
> FC5+FDS somewhere and chroot into it. This should eliminate overhead in
> option 1 but the 2.4 kernel could be too old for FC5/4 libraries. I can
> use some RHEL3 binaries and centos installation but I'm afraid of
> compatibility of next FDS releases with those old OSes.
>
> Do you have any other ideas or is someone running FS on RH9?
>
> Radek
>

> P.S. I'm stuck with RH9 as there is more important service running on
> this box which requires RH9.

I'm running several small jobs on vmware guests and as long as the
host has sufficient RAM to avoid swapping the overhead doesn't
seem bad - and you can easily move it to any host machine that
happens to have sufficient capacity just by copying the files
over.  There is a pre-built FDS appliance for vmware at
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/.  Is anyone using
it in production or for a backup?

--
  Les Mikesell