[Fedora-directory-users] Script after update operation

Ulf Weltman ulf.weltman at hp.com
Wed Sep 13 20:07:01 UTC 2006

Radek Hladik wrote:

> Richard Megginson napsal(a):
>
>> Radek Hladik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>     I would like to execute script after every update operation on
>>> specified subtree. I would like to know whether is there any best
>>> practice solution. I've found out I can write really simple
>>> post-operation plugin but before I start to do that I would like to
>>> know whether there is not any better solution I might be overlooking.
>>>     I need to extract the configuration for ldap non-aware
>>> application and recreate it's config file.
>>
>> There are two other simpler ways that might work for you.
>> 1) Use persistent search, possibly in combination with the Retro
>> Changelog plugin.
>> 2) Enable the audit log, and just tail -f audit | your script
>>

>>> Radek
>>>
>>> --

> Would you be so kind and point me to some more information about
> persistent searching? I can not find anything about it in FDS
> documentation, webpages and google returns only results about Novell
> eDirectory server. Is it FDS or LDAP extension?
> The solution with tail looks good but what about log rotation? Or
> would be FDS willing to log audit into named pipe?
> Radek

Audit log can be written to a named pipe, just replace the real audit
file with a fifo.  You'll still need to disable log rotation.  Logging
to a fifo has been a trick used in the past to capture the last few
thousand lines of a high level of error logging with minimized
performance impact, using a tool that provided a circular buffer in memory.