[Fedora-directory-users] How to make anonymous SASL work?

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Sun Sep 17 16:51:48 UTC 2006

> I tried ldapsearch, but it seems to fail quite basicly:
>
> [root at langham ~]# ldapsearch -D "cn=admin" -w fidelio77 -b "fashioncontent.com" cn=hvendelbo
> SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)
>         additional info: SASL(-4): no mechanism available:
> [root at langham ~]# ldapsearch -X -Y
> SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)
>         additional info: SASL(-4): no mechanism available:

> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:53:11 -0600
> From: Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>

>>> It looks like you're using the OpenLDAP version of ldapsearch and don't
>>> have SAASL auth set up on the server.
>> Yes, but how do I set up SASL auth. What doc describes it in less than
>> 100 pages.
>> Also, why shouldnt the OpenLDAP client be able to talk to Fedora DS ?
> It is - see below
>>> You can either pass the "-x" switch to ldapsearch to use plaintext auth,
>>> ot use the ldapsearch that comes with the directory server (probably in
>>> /opt/fedora-ds/shared/bin).
> /usr/bin/ldapsearch -x -D "bind dn" -w bindpassword .....
>
> ldapsearch by default will attempt a SASL bind, using the best mechanism
> available.  To disable this behavior, and force the openldap command
> line tools to use SIMPLE binddn/password auth, you have to specify the
> -x argument.

By the way, I think it's a bug that your server advertised the
SASL/EXTERNAL mechanism here; that mech should only be offered when
there is actually an external security system in place (e.g. IPSEC or
TLS). It appears this was a plain, unprotected connection. A mech
shouldn't be listed in the supportedSASLmechanisms list if requesting it
will in fact fail with "no mechanism available"...

--
   -- Howard Chu