[Fedora-directory-users] How to make anonymous SASL work?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 14:57:00 UTC 2006

devel - Fashion Content wrote:
> I have the mailserver and the directory on the same server.
>
> I have installed OpenLDAP client & libs and cyrus sasl.
> Fedora DS ldapsearch is not on the path.
> The Fedora DS now stores userPasswords as plaintext.
>
> saslauthd run with: MECH=ldap, FLAGS=-c
>
> saslauthd.conf:
>
> ldap_servers: ldap://127.0.0.1
> ldap_search_base: ou=People,dc=fashioncontent,dc=com
> ldap_bind_dn: cn=Directory Manager,dc=fashioncontent,dc=com
> ldap_bind_pw: secret
>
> ldap_filter: (&(objectClass=inetorgperson)(uid=%u))
> ldap_use_sasl: no
> ldap_auth_method: bind
> ldap_version: 3
> ldap_debug: 3
> ldap_verbose: on
> log_level: 255
>

> OpenLDAP ldapsearch: Shows userPassword results hashed, but otherwise
> shows the users I look up
> OpenLDAP ldapsearch userPassword=secret: Success
> Fedora ldapsearch: Fails to find anything
> testsaslauthd -u devel -p secret: Fails to find anything, error code
> 32 I think
It would be helpful if you could post the exact ldapsearch command line
that you used both for openldap and for fedora ds, along with the exact
output, or an excerpt of a few lines at least.

> I haven't figured out how to make saslauthd report the ldap queries,
> so I know very little of what happens and the Fedora logs
> don't appear to help much more.
The fedora ds access log will show the tcp socket
connection/disconnection and peer IP address, the BIND request and
result, and the SRCH request and result.  If you need help interpreting
the log output, please post an excerpt to this list.