[Fedora-directory-users] Confusion over admserv_host_ip_check message

Dave Della Costa dellacod at newschool.edu
Mon Sep 25 15:01:39 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I'm having a lot of problems getting into the console admin to the
server remotely.

I'm getting this in the admin-serv/logs/error log (I've changed the IPs
below, obviously...they are all the same one FYI):

[Mon Sep 25 08:51:57 2006] [notice] [client xxx.xx.xx.xxx]
admserv_host_ip_check: ap_get_remote_host could not resolve xxx.xx.xx.xxx
[Mon Sep 25 08:51:57 2006] [warn] [client xxx.xx.xx.xxx]
admserv_host_ip_check: failed to get host by ip addr [xxx.xx.xx.xxx] -
check your host and DNS configuration
[Mon Sep 25 08:51:57 2006] [notice] [client xxx.xx.xx.xxx]
admserv_host_ip_check: Unauthorized host ip=xxx.xx.xx.xxx, connection
rejected

I tried to use ldapmodify to open up the restriction, per the
instructions here:
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:AdminServerLDAPMgmt

..like so:

dn: dn of your admin server config entry
changetype: modify
replace: nsAdminAccessAddresses nsAdminAccessHosts
nsAdminAccessAddresses:
nsAdminAccessHosts:

(I left them blank per this mailing list post:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2005-December/msg00343.html)

I've checked this doc, but it seems to be about what you can do AFTER
you get the console running:

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:AdminServerLDAPMgmt

I feel like it's going to be really simple to fix this, but I just am
pretty unfamiliar with directory server and LDAP in general.  Thanks for
any help or instructions--

Best,
Dave