[Fedora-directory-users] [HELP] creating partition by command line

Gordon Messmer gmessmer at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 28 15:31:02 UTC 2006

Jorge Santos wrote:
> I Would like to setup a partition by command line and i'd tried to
> follow the tutorial in this site:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/entry_dist.html#17741
> <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/entry_dist.html#17741>

I don't see any "tutorial" at that URL, so I still don't know exactly
what you're trying to do.  That document covers a number of different
topics, not all of which will be used together.

I tried following the configuration in your earlier email a second time,
and it looks like on one server, you're creating an LDBM database for
the suffix "ou=bh,dc=mg", and then creating a link to another server for
the same suffix.  I'm pretty sure you can only do one of those two
things for a given suffix.  In other words, your configuration can't
include two identical entries, 'cn="ou=bh,dc=mg",cn=mapping tree,cn=config'.

So, try explaining the topology that you're trying to achieve as an end
result, and maybe we can give you a better idea of how to approach it.

> But, when I finished to follow the tutorial(create the partition in
> one server e the subpartition in the other server), I can't restart
> the slapd. I realized that information in "cn=mapping tree,cn=config"
> was lost.

On which host?  Your original message didn't give names or IP numbers
for the servers, which you should include.

> And the only thing that I need is to create a partition in the master
> server (dc=mg) and create a sub-partition in the other server
> (ou=bh,dc=mg)

If that's the case, you probably don't want a database link, unless you
want the "other" server to contain a database for which the "master"
server will also answer.

If the two servers have different suffixes, how are they related?