[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Regarding Fedora Clients Authentication to FDS

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 03:35:51 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I tried FDS a lot and also seeked help from IRC and this mailing lists
regarding how to get clients authenticated to FDS. I didnt receive ANY help
and was (in IRC) sent back that I am not thorough with the LDAP Basics. I
was surprised to get that answer. After trying nearly for hours, I switched
to openLDAP and Ubuntu as Client, and believe me, THEY WORKED LIKE CHARM !.
Just 1 hour spent, LDAP server and client up!

FDS looks to be a good product but it still needs extensive documentation. "Run
authconfig, that should do the job for the client" isnt enough. I did that,
edited pam files, nsswitch.conf files, nothing worked in fedora (version 6)
with FDS. But with openLDAP, it worked. I also have to admit that openLDAP
and fedora as client didnt work with authconfig.

I am running openLDAP in Fedora Core system and that looks to be great.

I am very disappointed that there is not much help available from FDS Users,
from this mailing list or IRC . Any special reason for this? Even when a
User has a dumb question like, "I am not able to add Clients", why cant it
be complex?

--
Regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep,