[Fedora-directory-users] ssl certificate problem

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 14:31:53 UTC 2007

Paolo Ercolani wrote:

>    Hi. I'm new to this list and it's a week i'm really fighting with
>    directory server. I followed some howtos, i downloaded a lot of
>    documents but i can't get out of trouble. I need to make login from
>    my linux boxes on ldap directory server. If i try to use my test
>    user in clear mode i can do that. The problem is when i try to
>    configure a self-signed certificate. I'll not describe all the tests
>    i've done, i'll tell you just the last!! I created my cacert.pem on
>    the ldapserver and i installed from the console. It goes and it's
>    ok. Then i used openssl to generate a private key and a certificate
>    request then i signed it. That's what i did:
>
>       openssl genrsa -out privkey.pem 2048
>       openssl req -new -key privkey.pem -out PEM.csr
>       openssl ca -cert cacert.pem -in PEM.csr -out cert.pem
>

>    I copied cacert.pem, privkey.pem and cert.pem on the client and i
>    configured ldap.conf on it:
Is this /etc/openldap/ldap.conf?  In order to get pam/nss working (I
assume by "login" you mean login to the operating system) you need to
configure pam/nss ldap to do TLS, which is the file /etc/ldap.conf,
which takes the below parameters in slightly different format.

I don't know if you need TLS_CERT and TLS_KEY - are you attempting to do
client cert auth - EXTERNAL bind?