[Fedora-directory-users] How can I check other user info in non-privileged mode?

ashley ashley at csse.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 19 03:36:22 UTC 2007

I think I've documented this somewhere in my documents somewhere.

But the short story is, it depends on how you bind to your LDAP directory
ie anonymously or with bind to it with a user/pw etc.

Normally normal users don't (Ie only user who has power is root everyone
is useless unless they are elevated to root via sudoers etc) have the
necessary previledges to do a lookup in the LDAP information although they
are authenticated.

To solve this problem you need to run name service cache daemon or nscd
which basically binds the lookup as root which caches the information
locally for users ie passwd, shadow, group etc.

 					Regards Ashley

--
Ashley Chew - Systems Administrator
School of Computer Science and Software Engineering

"There is no such thing as Fate, Fate is what you make of it!"