[Fedora-directory-users] Instructions to add a new multi-master?

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Wed Aug 1 14:39:13 UTC 2007

mallapadi niranjan wrote:
> would it be possible to just install DS and setup the same hostaname
> and same replica ID,
> and start the replication. Why should we delete the replication
> aggreement in other master servers, who had replication agreement with
> them.
You don't have to. The way I read your original post, it wasn't clear
that your goal was to
deploy a _replacement_ server (it read like you wanted to add a
completely new server).
> Suppose there were more than 4 LDAP server say 6 and all are Master
> replicating each other, if suddenly any of the master server goes down
> due to hardware reasons, so just installing os , Directory server and
> putting the same hostname and replica ID and starting replication ,
You'd need to manually initialize the replica once (replication from the
peers will
stall until you do this because they'll detect the RUV reset and refuse
to send incremental updates).
> would the above be possible ? again creating replication aggreements
> in all the system  just because of 1 server going down.
Yes, this should work just fine.