[Fedora-directory-users] FDS SSL performance tuning query

Jonathan Barber jon at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 16:44:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:32:54PM -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Jonathan Barber wrote:
> >Hello all, currently we have a FDS instance running on RHEL4 with a
> >small number of entries (6,000), we also have a linux compute cluster of
> >100 nodes which uses LDAP for user account data (via libnss_ldap).
>
> SNIP
>
> >[0] http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Performance_Tuning
> >[1]
> >http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/nss-3.2-performance-results
> >[2] server$ ./selfserv -n "Server-Cert" -p 6000
> >    client$ time ./strsclnt -p 6000 server -c 1000
> >    strsclnt: -- SSL: Server Certificate Validated.
> >    strsclnt: 0 cache hits; 1 cache misses, 0 cache not reusable
> >    strsclnt: 999 cache hits; 1 cache misses, 0 cache not reusable
> >
> >    real    0m0.605s
> >    user    0m0.795s
> >    sys     0m0.226s
>
> Your SSL test is probably not representative of the real world. It did
> just one full handshake. You may want to look at the -P and -N options
> of strsclnt. It may be that each getent is doing a full handshake.

I considered that, but I have the situation where the server is being
bogged down instead of the clients, and I don't use client certs to
auth. So as I understand it, the server doesn't do any validation and
the burden should be on the client and not the server.

Additionally, I have "tls_checkpeer no" set on my client's nss_ldap
config.

Running the same test with the -N option on strsclnt took ~30 seconds.

> rob

Jonathan Barber
High Performance Computing Analyst
Tel. +44 (0) 1382 386389