[Fedora-directory-users] FDS log management - bug?

Andrey Ivanov andrey.ivanov at polytechnique.fr
Sun Aug 12 11:41:43 UTC 2007

I don't know whether it's a feature or a bug :)  I have the following
configuration for the log management :

nsslapd-accesslog-logging-enabled: on
nsslapd-accesslog-maxlogsperdir: 365
nsslapd-accesslog-mode: 600
nsslapd-accesslog-maxlogsize: 120
nsslapd-accesslog-logrotationtime: 1
nsslapd-accesslog-logrotationtimeunit: day
nsslapd-accesslog-logrotationsync-enabled: on
nsslapd-accesslog-logrotationsynchour: 0
nsslapd-accesslog-logrotationsyncmin: 0
nsslapd-accesslog: /Logs/Ldap/access

nsslapd-accesslog-logmaxdiskspace: 50000
nsslapd-accesslog-logexpirationtime: 12
nsslapd-accesslog-logexpirationtimeunit: month
nsslapd-accesslog-logminfreediskspace: 2000

It means, essentially, that the logs are rotated once a day at
midnight (or if the file is larger than 120Mb) and that i keep them
for 1 year.

If i don't set the log rotation time (logrotationsynchour and
logrotationsyncmin) everything is ok, the logs are rotated once a day
and then they are kept for the necessary time period.
However when i set this rotation time the server deletes ALL the logs
but the current and the last one. That is, after each rotation i have
the current log (the file 'access') and the previous one (yesterday's
log, like access.20070811-000030). All the oher log files are deleted.

So if i want to keep the logs i need to copy them to a different place
by a cron script which is not very elegant :)

So, is it a bug or a feature? :)

Andrey Ivanov
tel +33-(0)1-69-33-99-24
fax +33-(0)1-69-33-99-55