[Fedora-directory-users] directory server setting fail toterminate idle connections

Brian Fender FenderB at gsicommerce.com
Mon Aug 13 21:20:16 UTC 2007

This is actually an apache webserver making the connections to directory
server.  What I see through tcpdump and netstat is that apache creates
an LDAP connection to perform a search, and the connection sits idle for
hours in established state.  The webserver eventually re-uses the random
port it made the initial request on to talk to a client, so the LDAP
connection no longer shoes up as established on the client side.  On the
server side, however, it still shows the connection as established
forever.  There are many other apache children talking to the same LDAP
server in parallel, and the number of open filehandles constantly
increases.

I realize that it is possible that the webserver is not properly tearing
the connection down or a firewall may be blocking it, but shouldn't the
server application notice that that connection was idle for more than
20min and time it out anyway?