[Fedora-directory-users] Error Initalizing Database

G Venkataraman gvenkat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 00:11:07 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 3:20 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Mike C wrote:
> > Directory Server 1.0 (downloaded last week)
> >
> > I have created a new database (via the Console GUI from startconsole).
> > I cannot initalize it. I right click on the database and select
> > Initalize Database. It prompts for the location of a file, which I
> > supply. The Initalize Database progress window pops up and shortly
> > says "Error During Import". The Status Logs... button reveals:
> >
> > "Beginning import job...
> > Index buffering enabled with bucket size 15
> > Could not open LDIF file "/root/backup.ldif"
> > Aborting all import threads...
> > Import threads aborted
> > Closing files...
> > Import failed."
> >
> > It does not give a reason why it could not open the file. Ideas?
> >
> Weird - try ldif2db from the command line?
> > FYI: I chmod 777 the file just in case (-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root
> > 6008801 Dec  5 12:06 backup.ldif)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

I noticed that the LDIF file is /root/backup.ldif. Could it be the case that
the GUI is running as a different (non root) user and that the /root
directory does not have permissions for that user to traverse into ? In
other words, if "ls -ld /root" shows the permissions as "drwx------", then
you can either change the permissions of /root to 755 or move the LDIF file
under a directory that is traversable by the user running the GUI. I would
prefer the latter.

-=Venkat=-