[Fedora-directory-users] Question about ACI

Chun Tat David Chu beyonddc.storage at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:36:49 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

Please see below for my original question.

I spend a little more time reading "Chapter 6 - Managing Access Control"
from the RH Administrator Guide.  At first, I thought it was my placement of
ACI that was wrong, but it seems like that's not the case from what I read.
The book stated that "The precedence rule that applies is that ACIs that
deny access take precedence over ACIs that allow access."  If my root allows
everything and then my leaf denies everything then I don't see why the add
operation that I mentioned below should work.

Let me clear up a little more in case there's any confusion.  The
ou=serviceaccounts and cn=user1 entry is created by the "cn=Directory
Manager" user.  In my test, the root (ou=serviceaccounts), I specified an
ACI that allows all user to do anything.  In my leaf (cn=user1), I specified
an ACI that denies everything for user1 by defining the bind rule as
(ldap:///self).

When I logged in as user1, I'm able to add entry in the cn=user1 context.  I
am not sure why because I thought that user1 shouldn't have any privilege to
do anything due to my specified ACI.

Any idea?  Am I missing some obvious?

Thanks!

David