[Fedora-directory-users] Recommend architecture

Chris G. Sellers chris.sellers at nitle.org
Fri Dec 14 18:03:39 UTC 2007

If you are simply using the directory to authenticate, then you can
probably get by with a dual master setup each a small pizza box from
your favorite vendor. ( 2Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, some SATA RAID disk
for mirroring, faster ethernet.  )

Index your authentication id (uid, cn).

If you plan to use it for more than just authentication, such as
authorization (group ID membership or Shibboleth federated style
authentication) or if you plan to allow UNIX interactive logins where
name services will be provide (e.g. when you type ls at the command
prompt it looks up each file to see who uidNumber 111 is) then you may
want to spread the wealth a little more.   I can't comment on the
sizing in that case as I've never had more than 40k accounts against a
Master/Slave setup.

I hope that is helpful.

Sellers

On Dec 14, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Beatriz Duran wrote:

> In your opinion, which servers are the most recommendable for
> running a  directory of 2 millions of registers? This directory will
> be used to validate user's loggings.

> Search.--

Chris G. Sellers			|	NITLE Technology
734.661.2318			|	chris.sellers at nitle.org