[Fedora-directory-users] Forgive the misunderstandings of a "newb"

Scott Ackerman lists at scott-ackerman.com
Fri Feb 9 17:37:03 UTC 2007

I am running Fedora Core 5 and have (as far as I can understand) all
required modules, etc. installed, I have checked the ldap.conf file and
it is pointing to our LDAP server, I have checked the nsswitch.conf file
and it appears to be configured correctly. But after having deleted the
user from the local machine, I now cannot login because of
authentication failure.
System-config-authenticatin in pam.d contains this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth            include         config-util
account         include         config-util
session         include         config-util

So, back to the drawing board and more searching on the web. It seems as
if most of these how-to's are geared toward people what have a working
understanding of how all of this integrates into LDAP. An assumption
that I wouldn't necessarily make, especially in light of the fact that
if you come from a Windoze server environment, AD is used which doesn't
have all of these configuration issues (you just get a whole new set of
issues).