[Fedora-directory-users] Password Expiration Loop

Jim Summers jsummers at bachman.cs.ou.edu
Fri Feb 9 16:09:26 UTC 2007

Hello List,

I am still troubled with the issue of a users password expiring, they get the
messages to change, successfully change password.  Then the next time that
they login, the password loop begins again.

I searched the archives and didn't really find a solution, but could have
sworn that I had seen it solved some time back.  The setup I am working with
is RHEL4 servers and FDS fedora-ds-1.0.2-1.RHEL4.  The clients are mix of
fedora versions and RHEL4 machines.  Everything works great(authentication,
netgroups, autofs, etc...) other than this one issue.

Here are the relevant entries(I think!) from ldap.conf on a client(rhel4):

ssl start_tls
ssl on
tls_checkpeer no
tls_reqcert never
tls_cacertfile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
tls_cacertdir /usr/share/ssl/certs
pam_password crypt
pam_lookup_policy yes

The pam.d/system-auth is:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore]
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

and the log entry when using ssh to login with shows:

sshd(pam_unix)[4227]: session opened for user

but if I fumble the password it shows:

passwd[4222]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user ....

So, like I was several months ago, still stumped on what I have overlooked.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I have overlooked?

Can I find some log entries in the ldap server that may point to what I have
mis-configured or not configured?

Many Thanks

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma