[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Announce: Net-LDAPapi version 2.00 released

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 9 23:30:41 UTC 2007

--On Friday, February 09, 2007 5:21 PM -0600 Chris Garrigues
<cwg-dated-1171495262.257439 at Trinsics.Com> wrote:

>> From:  Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah at stanford.edu>
>> Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:24:52 -0800
>>
>> A new release of Net::LDAPapi module is now available for Perl via CPAN.
>> This release includes compilation against OpenLDAP libraries from
>> version  2.1 forward.  It now supports LDAPv3, including SASL binds.
>
> I hate to sound critical, but...
>
> Who's responsible for the "object oriented" interface?  It bugs me when a
> package claims to have an OO interface, yet there's no use of OO concepts
> in  the interface.  It took me a while to convince myself that the values
> returned  by first_entry and next_entry aren't actually objects on which
> I would then use  the get_values method.

The interface has not been particularly or heavily modified since it was
last touched in 1998.  The initial 2.00 release is to get a version out
that actually works with the modern LDAP api's available, which the old
version flat out didn't do.  As time allows, I will be going through the
code and updating it to conform to current practices and procedures.

> I'd rather just use the non-OO interface since it wouldn't mislead me
> into  expecting OO behavior.  I assume that still works even though it's
> no longer  documented.  Do I just stick "ldap_" on the front of all the
> method names?

I personally haven't used it, but I'd assume so, given the following
comment in the Changes file:

    - Added Perl-OO methods for virtually all API calls.  The C style
      API calls still work, and will work in all future versions.
      Note that I haven't added named arguments yet, so argument order
      matters.  This should be in the next version.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer