[Fedora-directory-users] How to make application connect to multi-master set-up?

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Feb 19 14:52:36 UTC 2007

Ankur Agarwal wrote:

> We have a weblogic app server based application which talks to RedHat
> LDAP through weblogic's security provider APIs.
>
> On Production env we have set-up master-master LDAP servers i.e. there
> are two master LDAP servers. How should i make my application connect
> to these 2 servers?
>
> Should there be a front-end load balancer to which my application will
> make request and then load balancer will handle requests to one of the
> LDAP servers?
>
> Also note that we have weblogic cluster in Prod with 2 instances. So
> should i make each instance point to one LDAP server? But in that case
> how will automatic failover work if one of the LDAP servers go down?
>
> Would be great if people can suggest any standard solution to deal
> with such situations.

Typically this functionality is built in to the client (or in fact the
LDAP client library).
Interposed proxies or load balancers are possible with LDAP but not
normally needed.
I'm not sure about weblogic specifically but usually you get to
configure two or more
LDAP servers, or you can use multiple A records in the DNS. I'd ask BEA
-- they
should be able to tell you.