[Fedora-directory-users] LDIF modify syntax

Kyle Tucker kylet at panix.com
Wed Jan 3 10:32:02 UTC 2007

Hi all,
	Simple issue here perhaps. I had set up my LDIF
files like this example (variables get set of course) to
change a users shadowAccount password under FDS 1.0.4 and
all my updates seem to work just fine using ldapmodify.

dn: uid=$UID, ou=People, $DNDOMAIN
changetype: modify
shadowLastChange: $TODAY
userPassword: $PWHASH

But recent research into LDIF revealed that the proper way
to update attributes is using this "replace" method.

dn: uid=$UID, ou=People, $DNDOMAIN
changetype: modify
replace: shadowLastChange
shadowLastChange: $TODAY

dn: uid=$UID, ou=People, $DNDOMAIN
changetype: modify
replace: userPassword
userPassword: $PWHASH

Are both legal or permitted or did I just get lucky or is it
not really doing what I think? All ldapsearch results look the
same after using either?

--
- Kyle