[Fedora-directory-users] Red Hat capacacity planning guidelines

Eddie C edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:26:30 UTC 2007

Directory server at least in my usage seems to be fairly light on RAM/SWAP
usage. I would focus on some other things.

We use a dell 860 2 sata disks 1 3.6 ghz duel core processor 2 gigs ram 4
gigs swap.

1) Disk: My directory server is using software mirrored 80 GIG sata disk. I
notice the utilization can hit 100% but by iowait is near zero. For now it
seems to be running great find but next server we will end up investing in a
raid system. We are multi-master so a fast multidisk stripe or RAID 5 is
what we might end up with.

2) There is a varabile that can only be defined in dse.ldif and requires
rebuilding the databases if its changed then name escapes me. But if the
number of returned results is higher then a certain number it causes
directory server to abandon the index. It comes stock at 1,000?? but if you
are going to be running a huge database and queries that return large result
set you should set this varaible before creating the database. (Sorry the
name totally escapes me)

3) Ram and processor  can hit 6%  memory up to 5% processor. We all know
this is application/ deployment specific. My point from part, 1 in my
deployment disk speed will be the choke point. But in general a DB like
mysql seems to really want to consume large ammounts of memory, seems like
FDS works more on disk. (I could be wrong)

4) Set you look through limits high otherwise the server will abandon
searches that examin too many records. If your DB is big

In any case we get great performance on a fairly basic hardware platform.

Hope that was helpful,
Edward