[Fedora-directory-users] FDS, SNMP & Cacti...

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Wed Jan 10 19:17:46 UTC 2007

> Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:10:44 -0700
> From: Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>

>> To use, simply follow the Howto on the wiki, but you'll all need to rename
>> *openldap_response_time.txt* to openldap_response_time.pl*. The other two
>> files are as required.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>
> Thank you!
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/download/README.snmp-cacti
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/download/openldap_response_time.pl

I really wish Net::LDAP would just go away and die. People should be using
Mozilla::LDAP (or Net::LDAPapi), particularly when they're doing timing
measurements. I guess as a monitoring device to say "is it alive" it's not
too crucial, but you have to realize that when it says it measures the
response time of the LDAP server, 99% of the measured time is actually perl
execution, and only 1% is actual network+LDAP time. (That's not an
exaggeration; there is a clear 100:1 difference in execution time between
Net::LDAP and Mozilla::LDAP / Net::LDAPapi.)

--
   -- Howard Chu