[Fedora-directory-users] Slapd command line usage

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Thu Jan 18 22:10:39 UTC 2007

Hi all.

I am looking to run the slapd process in the foreground on a Unix
system, so I can be notified immediately if it dies...

Looking at the usage of the "start-slapd" command:
usage: ns-slapd -D instancedir [-d debuglevel] [-i pidlogfile] [-v] [-V]

There's no real guidance as to how the -d option works (i.e. what levels
it supports), but experimentally, we've determined that -d 0 will run
the process and not fork/exit into the background.  Is this behavior
known, and should we count on it?  Is there a better way to get the
slapd to stay in the foreground?  Finally, what debug levels are
available, and what do they mean?

Thanks!

--
Mike Mueller