[Fedora-directory-users] how to autofs

Steve Rigler srigler at marathonoil.com
Tue Jul 3 19:48:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:15 -0400, Brian Zuromski wrote:
> Hello,
>       I'm looking to setup autofs for a bunch of linux hosts.  What
> schema should I use?  The automount page on the wiki does not exactly
> paint a very clear picture.
>  http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Automount

These instructions look similar to how ours are setup except that:

1. We use "automountmapname" as the naming attribute for the maps.
2. We use "automountkey" as the naming attribute for the map keys.
3. We don't specify the server name in the "automountinformation".
4. We have to run a different auto.master for Linux than Solaris
clients.

Here's an example auto.master (for Linux):
dn: automountmapname=auto.master,dc=example,dc=com
automountmapname: auto.master
objectclass: top
objectclass: automountmap

dn: automountkey=/home,dc=example,dc=com
automountkey: /home
objectclass: top
objectclass: automount
automountinformation: ldap:automountmapname=auto_home,dc=example,dc=com

Here's an example auto_home:
dn: automountmapname=auto_home,dc=example,dc=com
automountmapname: auto_home
objectclass: top
objectclass: automountmap

dn: automountkey=someuser,dc=example,dc=com
automountkey: someuser
objectclass: top
objectclass: automount
automountinformation: -rw,hard,intr someserver:/export/home/someuser

-Steve