[Fedora-directory-users] Performance

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Tue Jul 17 02:24:51 UTC 2007

Norman Gaywood wrote:
> Yes it was a read-only test. But then that's the main application of
> LDAP servers. Are there applications that require high LDAP write
> performance?

It's pretty easy to achieve performance in excess of most applications'
requirements for reads, but write performance it typically much lower
(due to the need to maintain the WAL with many indices, usually).
Replication makes the situation worse because the replication changelog
also has to be written, reducing the available I/O resources for primary
database writes. So in any given real-world application, it's often the
write capacity that determines overall system capacity.