[Fedora-directory-users] Performance

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 18:06:57 UTC 2007

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Richard Megginson wrote:
>> Vampire D wrote:
>>> As I understand it, OpenLDAP doesn't perform all that well under a
>>> high load.
>> OpenLDAP 2.3 does.
>
> Howard Chu's "SambaXP" key notes certainly seem to make that
> argument.  He makes the bold claim that "OpenLDAP is the only
> directory software that matters."
>
> Do you agree?
No.
> Is there a future for Fedora DS,
Yes.  Red Hat has invested, and continues to invest, a lot of resources
in Fedora DS.

Since December, 2004, the directory server team at Red Hat has spent the
majority of effort on making everything about Fedora DS open source
developer friendly:
* replace the proprietary admin server with Apache
* use FHS style paths
* use autotools for building
* including the software in the Fedora OS distribution

This has represented an enormous amount of work, and we're almost
finished.  At the same time, we've also managed to add some new features
(password syntax checking, ldapi, distributed numeric assignment,
bitwise matching rules, other features) as well as many bug fixes.

We have a lot of ideas for the future after we complete this work.  In
general, we want to make LDAP easier to use, easier to deploy, and
easier to fit in with other applications.  We also want to find out what
features you want.  We really want to make this a community effort.

We are not going anywhere - we are committed to continual improvement of
Fedora DS.

> or will OpenLDAP own the Free Software directory service market?
I think there is room for both projects.  Some people prefer OpenLDAP,
and some prefer Fedora DS.  Although it's too early to tell, some may
prefer Sun's OpenDS or Apache DS.
> Will the two projects share technology and converge?
I don't know, but this is something I would like to pursue, to find ways
that we can share technology.