[Fedora-directory-users] Group name not gid

ashley ashley at csse.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 14 01:58:57 UTC 2007

On your client, if its properly binded you should be able to see your
remote mappings ie do this

getent passwd
getent group

And see if the user and groupmember information for that user are there.

ashley at gp01:/etc:554> getent group |grep -i ashley
motorola:*:32705:ashley
acm:*:32071:ashley,luigi

Now that only shows that the ldap lookup / binding is working.

If it isn't then something wrong with your binding, if it is then try
mapping the group information directly. ie edit /etc/ldap.conf and edit
the nss_base_group.

The only other place I think of is that you didn't tell your linux system
to used the LDAP lookup information for groups which is specified in
/etc/nsswitch.conf

For unix there three main files / variables which are passwd, shadow and
group.

For nsswitch.conf I've got lookup local information followed by LDAP
information ie in

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap