[Fedora-directory-users] problems w/ admin server, local.conf

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 22:23:54 UTC 2007

MJD Shop Account wrote:
> I've set up a few FDS 1.0.4 servers now and have problems every time getting certain things right with the admin server.  I run into problems using either the console or just ldif file (which I prefer, for scripting).  Here's the typical problem: when I try to set nsAdminAccessHosts, I use an ldif file.  I can see the new value is set in the operational attributes, but it doesn't always make it into /opt/fedora-ds/admin-server/config/local.conf.  The admin server logs indicate it is using the old values.

If you modify settings yourself in the configuration DS via LDAP, you
will have to tell Admin Server to refresh its configuration.  The
console does this when you change admin server parameters.  It uses the
special url path "/Commands/sync-task-sie-data".  You must authenticate
to http first becauses it uses those credentials to bind to the
directory server to read the new configuration.  This is how local.conf
is updated with the information from the config ds.

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/AdminServer#Admin_Server_Config_Files
gives an overview of the various Admin Server config files.  One thing
it doesn't say is what the ownership should be.

admin-serv/config - directory - should be owned by the admin server uid
and should be mode 0700.
adm.conf - must be owned by the admin server uid (default nobody) and
mode 0600
admpw - must be owned by the admin server uid (default nobody) and mode 0600
local.conf - must be owned by the admin server uid (default nobody) and
mode 0600
console.conf - must be owned by the admin server uid (default nobody)
and mode 0600

All other files can be owned by root and be read only.