[Fedora-directory-users] FDS equivalent of OpenLDAP's password-crypt-salt-format?

Alan Hagge Alan.Hagge at warnerbros.com
Tue Jun 26 19:36:50 UTC 2007

Does anyone know if FDS has the equivalent of OpenLDAP's
password-crypt-salt-format option?  It's used to specify the format of
the salt used in crypt encryption.  Specifically, I need a way to have
md5crypt passwords generated by an "ldap password modify" extended
operation.  I'm trying to support Irix, Linux and Windows (using samba)
hosts, and unfortunately, Irix only supports crypt-format passwords, but
WILL use the md5 salted variant, which (as I understand it) is much more
secure than the standard DES version.

It looks like Sun's enterprise directory server supports this through an
optional parameter passed to its crypt password storage scheme plugin
(see http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-0376/6nc4cgnh4?a=view , topic
6557410), but in looking over the FDS source for this plugin, I don't
see where this has been implemented.

Thanks for any hints, tips, etc.