[Fedora-directory-users] Samba/Fedora DS/Windows Password Sync

Phil Allred phil.allred at brooklaw.edu
Fri Mar 9 02:14:50 UTC 2007

Here at Brooklyn Law School, we use Fedora DS together with a samba
schema quite succesfully.   All students and most faculty log in to  lab
computers and desktops  that are members of  a Samba domain. We avoid
using NT servers as much as possible for open source reasons, but our
faculty is hoping we can move them to an exchange server running on NT
2003.  In a test environment, we were able to get password sync
happening between an NT server and a replica of our DS,  but are
wondering how to keep our samba passwords updated.  Currently, we have a
web front end pointed at a perl script loosely based on the smb-ldap
scripts from IDEALX.  These keep our sambantpassword, sambalmpassword,
and unix passwords synced.

 If we continue to use this script to update passwords on Fedora DS,
will fedora pick up the password and send it down to the windows
server?  I assume there is not much I could do to get it to work in the
other direction, which would be ok -- we would require users to continue
to change their passwords through our web front end.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Allred