[Fedora-directory-users] lookthrough vs. sizelimit

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 22:16:41 UTC 2007

George Holbert wrote:
>> No. That'd be quite silly, wouldn't it ?
>
> Absolutely :), that's why I was curious.
> So correct me if this wrong, but sounds like either of the two can be
> used to limit how much the server works on a search, but they each
> take effect at a different part of the search algorithm.
> I still wonder why you'd choose one over the other to implement result
> limits?  Seems kind of like a door with two knobs.  Maybe there's some
> specific cases where one is preferable.
In general, lookthroughlimit is much stricter than sizelimit.

For example, let's say a user wants to do an unindexed search for
(description=*something*).  Let's say that there are 5000 users and 1000
users who have a description attribute that matches *something*.  The
server will have to search through every entry in sequential
(indeterminate) order to find matches.

If you set lookthroughlimit to be 1000, and set sizelimit to be
unlimited, the server will look at up to 1000 entries looking for
description=*something*.  Some of them may match, some of them may not,
and the server will return 1000 or fewer entries (indeterminate).  The
server is limited in the amount of work it performs searching through
the database.

If you set sizelimit to be 1000, and set lookthroughlimit to be
unlimited, the server could look at all 5000 user entries, until it
finds 1000 entries which match, at which point it will terminate the
search and return the 1000 entries to the user.