[Fedora-directory-users] FDS and Automatic home dir creation

Brian Kosick Bkosick at mxlogic.com
Wed Mar 14 23:30:05 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I just found out about the fantastic pam_mkhomedir.so pam module.   I have it working somewhat, I just need to know if what I want to do is possible.
Here's my setup:

FC4 with Fedora Directory Server 1.04 and is also the NFS /home share.
On this server I have in the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file the following entry

session         required        pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0077

Then I have client machines that use FDS and the /home NFS share to provide central login and /home dir capabilities.
The /home dir itself is NFS export RO and only the user dirs are RW within it.

Using ldap (hostobject, pam_check_host_attr) attributes, I do not let users login to the FDS /home share server, just the clients.
I want to know it it is possible that the first time a user logs into one of the clients that it can somehow be passed to the /home dir server to create the users home dir.

I have it working with test users currently, but ONLY when they are allowed to login into the /home dir server, not any of the clients.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian