[Fedora-directory-users] LDAP and RDBMS Integration

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 15:32:22 UTC 2007

Eddie C wrote:
> This is an interesting topic.
>
> Is there even a suggested database schema for this? Or the person who
> designs the c-code would desgn the schema as well?
I don't know if there is a database schema for this.  I think each
database vendor comes up with their own, or even each application that
uses the database for authentication.

On a related note, I notice that there are PAM SQL modules which allow
you to use PAM to authenticate against credentials stored in an RDBMS.
Google shows that there are PAM modules for mysql, postgres, informix,
db2, and oracle.  With the Fedora DS PAM passthru plugin, you should be
able to pass authentication through to the database, with the
appropriate PAM SQL module and configuration.  That would at least solve
the case where you want to use the RDBMS as the authoritative store for
passwords.