[Fedora-directory-users] Deleting database

Ville Silventoinen vsi at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:01:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Richard Megginson wrote:

> Ville Silventoinen wrote:
>> I'm using Fedora DS 1.0.4. I've written an application that uses Fedora DS
>> and next I'm planning to write unit tests. I'm wondering if there is a way
>> to delete the whole userRoot database and create it again? I searched the
>> documentation and there seems to be a way to create the database from
>> command line, but no way to delete it, except from the GUI?
> Just delete the entry (e.g. delete cn=userRoot,cn=ldbm
> database,cn=plugins,cn=config).  You will have to do some sort of recursive
> deletion to remove all of the child entries.  I think this is what the GUI
> does - just check the access logs for the server after deleting the database
> in the console.

Thank you Richard, that worked very well. I also delete the mapping
tree entry, which maps the suffix to the backend database:

   dn: cn="dc=ebi,dc=ac,dc=uk",cn=mapping tree,cn=config
   objectclass: top
   objectclass: extensibleObject
   objectclass: nsMappingTree
   nsslapd-state: backend
   nsslapd-backend: userRoot
   cn: dc=ebi,dc=ac,dc=uk

The GUI works slightly differently, it sets nsslapd-state to "disabled"
and removes the nsslapd-backend attribute.

If anyone has a need for a script that can delete and create a database, I
can send it to the list. I use Python with python-ldap package.

Thank you very much for a fast response!

Ville