[Fedora-directory-users] Deleting database

Ville Silventoinen vsi at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 16:27:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Richard Megginson wrote:

> Ville Silventoinen wrote:

>>> If you just want to restore the database to it's initial state, you can
>>> just do an import - ldif2db or ldif2db.pl - this will remove the previous
>>> contents and create a new database.  This might be sufficient for your
>>> purposes, without having to delete the database and mapping tree entries.
>>> See ldif2db.pl for how to invoke an import operation via ldap
>>
>> This may be a stupid question but how do I get ldif2db.pl to remove the
>> previous contents so it can create the entries?
>>
>> I tried like this:
>>
>>   ./ldif2db.pl -v -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w mypassword -n userRoot -i
>> /path/to/userRoot.ldif
>>
>> but in the errors log it shows for every entry "WARNING: Skipping duplicate
>> entry".
> That usually means there are duplicate entries in your userRoot.ldif file -
> can you post it somewhere and post the link to it here?  I'd rather not spam
> the list with a large ldif file.

Thanks Richard! You were right, all the entries were defined twice in the
file. I don't understand how that happened, I used the "Export Databases"
task in the Console to create the file. If the file already exists, does
it append new entries to it? I must have done something wrong...

Just tested the import, it works very well. Entries are modified, removed
and added to restore the original database. It's very fast too (my test
server runs on an old Pentium 3):

   Processed 9854 entries in 9 seconds. (1094.89 entries/sec)

Thank you again!

Ville