[Fedora-directory-users] VLV index and uid attribute

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Mar 23 19:16:19 UTC 2007

Ville Silventoinen wrote:

> This is not a major problem, I'm just curious why the above solution
> doesn't work? It looks like Console doesn't care what the vlvSort
> value is? I don't understand how it can sort with cn when there is no

A client may present any VLV request it likes to the server.
The server will attempt to service the request and respond.
Indices are used if possible, but they are optional.
So in your case the VLV requests made by the console
would have become unindexed. If the number of entries
is reasonably small performance would remain good.