[Fedora-directory-users] Create Browsing Index gets stuck

Ville Silventoinen vsi at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 10:36:08 UTC 2007

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed or reported as a bug. I tried
to find the bug report, but couldn't find it so here goes:

Quite often when I have removed all entries and put them back and tried to
create a Browsing Index with the Console, the Console gets stuck. I have
few times left it for hours but nothing happens. In this case I deleted
the previous browsing index from the GUI and tried to create it again for
People with 1400 entries. The GUI tells me it has done "Adding browsing
index entries to server" (ticked) but it is still "Creating browsing index
in server" (not ticked). It stays in this window forever. The "Server
status for creating browsing index" window is empty.

I cannot see any error messages in slapd-HOSTNAME/logs/errors or
admin-serv/logs/error log. The startconsole terminal doesn't show any Java
exceptions. Is there anywhere else I could look for clues?

If I force the window to close, the database goes to read-only mode. I
close the Console, shutdown the slapd, change the database back to
read-write mode and restart everything. The Console shows the index has
been created, but if I look at slapd-HOSTNAME/db/ebiRoot/ directory, I
cannot see a vlv#bymccoupeopledcebidcacdcuk.db4 file, so I guess the
index doesn't really exist? With just 1400 entries it's difficult to tell.

Sometimes I do get the index created, but quite often not.

I'm using Fedora DS 1.0.4 on CentOS 4.4 with following JRE:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_09-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_09-b01, mixed mode)

Thanks for any help!

Ville