[Fedora-directory-users] How to change password storage method?

Ville Silventoinen vsi at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 16:29:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Andy Schofield wrote:

> I want the passwords for all Users in People to be stored in md5.
> Everything I have done (like selecting a user and "Managing passwords"
> leaves them in SSHA which is presumably some default.

You can change the default password storage scheme by modifying cn=config
passwordStorageScheme attribute. It should be in
slapd-HOST/config/dse.ldif (look for "dn: cn=config"), if not then you can
add the attribute.

You can also change it in the Console:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/password.html#1086306

I don't think it affects passwords already stored, only new entries.

Hope this helps.

Ville