[Fedora-directory-users] Windows Sync using SSL : Peer's Certificate issuer is not recognized

Glenn glenn at mail.txwes.edu
Fri May 18 15:53:36 UTC 2007

Hello Andre,

It seems your certificates are not set up correctly.  You should have the
same CA certificate in the database in both FDS and AD.  Also, the server
certs in each database should be issued by the same certificate authority.

It is convenient to use the Certificate Authority included with recent
Microsoft Windows servers to create a CA certificate to import into both
databases.  You can then create server certificates using the MSCA and import
them into their respective databases.

You may also need to import the server certificate from FDS into the database
on AD and vice-versa.  Once this is done, you should review and possibly
modify the trust attributes on all the certs.  As you can see from my
examples, I used a scatter-gun approach.

You will need to use certutil for all import and modify operations on the
certificate databases.  "certutil -H" gives a nice reference.

Examples:

sibelius=FD
boccherini=AD
TWCA=CA

[root at sibelius alias]# ./certutil -L -d . -P slapd-sibelius-
TWCA                             CT,c,c
boccherini                       P,P,P
server-cert                      CTu,cu,cu

C:\Program Files\RHD Password Sync>certutil -L -d .
TWCA                             CT,C,C
server-cert                      Pu,Pu,Pu
boccherini                       P,P,P

Remember to restart FDS and PassSync after making changes.  Also, note that
although it is rumored that the FDS bind user for replication can be created
by the administrator, no one has explained in detail how to make it work.
You might use cn=Directory Manager for your bind user who will bind to the
FDS for replication, at least while testing.

The "fine" manual is here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/adminTOC.html

Hope this helps.   -G.