[Fedora-directory-users] NIS to LDAP (N2L) service?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed May 23 00:07:56 UTC 2007

Hello all, my company is currently considering moving from NIS to LDAP.
I've begun this project using Sun's Directory Server (Sun One or Sun
Java One whatever it's called these days).

Their NIS server has a useful feature in that one can leave the NIS
daemons running and configure them to use your LDAP store as their
backend.  This would be perfect for us as our network contains many old
Unix hosts that cannot do LDAP and will need to rely on legacy NIS for
some time.  However, we'd like to be able to enjoy the other benefits
that LDAP offers and migrate the rest of the clients at a more
leisurely pace.

You can see details on Sun's N2L setup here:

  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4556/6maort2tt?a=view

Now, I realize that this may be out of the scope of the FDS project,
but I thought someone here surely must have needed to do the same
thing.

Any suggestions?  I guess I could potentially use Sun's N2L setup
against a FDS back-end...

Thanks in advance...

Ray