[Fedora-directory-users] ssh login fail

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 10 23:06:10 UTC 2007

Yes I have run this before, vuw exists (see below),

By password return I assume the client is querying LDAP to ask if the
user jonesst1 exists and either sends the hash of the password I used to
try and login or asks for the hash to do a comparison if it matches a
login is allowed....

I assume pam.d on the client is doing the hash comparison, so if the
hash method on the client is different to FDS its not going to get
anywhere.

Querying via the FDS gui shows the user so it is in the database
somewhere....

So the possible errors are wrong hash or looking in the wrong place, or
some other error.

regards

Steven Jones
Senior  Linux/Unix/San/Vmware System Administrator
APG -Technology Integration Team
Victoria University of Wellington
Phone: +64 4 463 6272

8><-----

[root at vuwunicvfwall02 openldap]# more output
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# vuw.ac.nz
dn: dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
dc: vuw

# Directory Administrators, vuw.ac.nz
dn: cn=Directory Administrators, dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top
objectClass: groupofuniquenames
cn: Directory Administrators

# Groups, vuw.ac.nz
dn: ou=Groups, dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalunit
ou: Groups

# People, vuw.ac.nz
dn: ou=People, dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalunit
ou: People

# Special Users, vuw.ac.nz
dn: ou=Special Users,dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top

8><------

# PD Managers, groups, vuw.ac.nz
dn: cn=PD Managers,ou=groups,dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
objectClass: top
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
cn: PD Managers
ou: groups