[Fedora-directory-users] Setting a self ssl certificate

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 01:22:23 UTC 2007

Steven Jones wrote:
>    The Fedora ssl document talks about replacing instruction 7.
>
> with its own, OK
>
> But, do I then carry on following the RDS document? ie do 8. and 9. and
> if so is the syntax for 9. correct? Eg,
>
> ".....9. Run pk12util to convert the certificate database to pkcs12
> format, so it is accessbile by the Directory Server:
>
> /serverRoot/shared/bin/pk12util -d . -o cert.pk12 -n
> Server-Cert
>
> ......."

Yes.  This is correct.  However, this step is not really necessary, it's
only used in order to backup your newly generated private key material
in a portable format.  This step is not needed in order to activate SSL
in the server.

The setupssl.sh script
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL#Script
does this:
    pk12util -d $secdir $prefixarg -o $secdir/adminserver.p12 -n
server-cert -w $secdir/pwdfile.txt -k $secdir/pwdfile.txt
There are two passwords.  -w is the password used to encrypt the key
material in the pk12 file.  -k is the password for your key database,
from where the private key is extracted.  So you could do something like
this (assuming you created a file pwdfile.txt with your password):
 pk12util -d . -o cert.pk12 -n Server-Cert -w pwdfile.txt -k pwdfile.txt
This also assumes you use the same password for your key database as to
encrypt your pk12 file.

> Or is this bit missing from the RDS howto command as well?
>
> "-P slapd-serverID-"
>
> Then do I follow on with the fedora doc?

You can use or omit the -P slapd-serverID-
step 8 does this:
mv key3.db slapd-server-key3.db
mv cert8.db slapd-server-cert8.db
ln -s slapd-server-key3.db key3.db
ln -s slapd-server-cert8.db cert8.db

So you have both cert8.db and slapd-server-cert8.db which refer to the
same file.  So you can specify -P or omit it, it should not matter.