[Fedora-directory-users] Directory Server capabilities

Clowser, Jeff (Contractor) jeff_clowser at fanniemae.com
Fri Sep 14 18:58:53 UTC 2007

I have a question about capabilities in the Fedora/RH Directory server:

First, can it do dynamic groups as Novell eDirectory does (or is there
any effort to add this):
http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/ana20020405.html

Basically, it's similar to the groupofURL's that is supported by the
RH/Sun directory server, but when the group is retrieved, dn's for
entries that match the ldap url dynamic criteria is returned added to
the uniquemember attribute, and you can do searches/compares on the
uniquemember attribute that includes dynamic members.

I realise there are some significant performance considerations with
this, but for modest use, it would really be useful.  (FWIW, I asked a
similar question when FDS first was released, but didn't have another
product to point to as a comparable implementation at the time.  Haven't
looked at FDS for a while, so I'm hoping some things might have changed
:)  )

Second, can it log to syslog (or some centralized logging facility),
rather than local files?  I run a load balanced cluster with ~20 Sun
Directory server machines in it, and troubleshooting things in
access/error logs is a real pain because I have to look at 20 machines
to find which server the connection went to so I can find the correct
log entries to find out what's going on.  Has RH added other options to
logging to log to syslog-ng, etc so that we can create one consolidated
set of logs?

Thanks,
 - Jeff