[Fedora-directory-users] Setting up clients for ssl only?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 14:09:06 UTC 2007

Steven Jones wrote:
> 8><----
>
> Uh.....this means not a thing....where and how is it set?
>
> On the server? Client? Ie What and where is dse.ldif?

Sorry, I assumed a level of familiarity with the product that I should
not have.

The file /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-instance/config/dse.ldif is the main
server configuration file.  This file is in LDIF format.  The
configuration is broken up into LDIF/LDAP entries.  Each entry begins
with a line like this:
dn: <entry DN>
Where <entry DN> is the distinguished name (DN) of the configuration
entry.  Each entry ends with a blank line (e.g. in perl this matches
/^$/).  The main configuration entry is cn=config - it begins in the
file dse.ldif with the line
dn: cn=config
In this entry is an attribute named nsslapd-port which by default has a
value of 389 e.g.
nsslapd-port: 389
Some default values are not written to dse.ldif.  This one might not be,
not sure.

If you set this value to 0, the server will not listen for non-secure
connections.  In order to change this value, you must first shutdown the
server.  Then, using a text editor, edit the file, and change 389 to 0.
If the attribute is not present in the entry, add it as the last line in
the entry - make sure there are no empty lines before this one, and make
sure there is a single empty line after it, before the start of the next
entry.

Finally, I'll note that in one of your previous configurations that you
posted, you have set it to use start_tls.  If you want to use LDAP
startTLS, _you must use the non-secure LDAP port_.  Which means you
cannot set it to 0.  Fedora DS currently has no way to force all
connections to first use the startTLS command.  So if you use startTLS,
there is no way to force all connections to use TLS/SSL.