[Fedora-directory-users] Email and LDAP

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:28:04 UTC 2007

I am very sorry if this is an easy question to answer. I have tried
OpenLDAP and FDS several times. I just can't seem to get it to do what I
want.

I am trying to setup a directory server for my folks (may expand to the
entire family). Basically, I would like the following features:

* Global directory where all common contacts are stored
* Private directories where all private/non-common contacts are stored

The above terminology may not match common LDAP terminology. They are
using Thunderbird on more than one computer in Windows and Linux, hence
the desire to get it out of the Thunderbird and into an LDAP server.

I would love it if I could have authentication be against an Active
Directory (which I may be moving them too soon), but this is not
necessary. How do I do access control for write to the private
directories? How do I do control on the global?

How do I even get it working?

I am sorry, as I said, I have read many howtos and just can't seem to
get anywhere. I am not stupid, but I am ignorant when it comes to LDAP.

Thank you for any help.

Trever Adams