[Fedora-directory-users] Preferred authentication mechanism - LDAPS or startTLS

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Wed Apr 9 20:20:25 UTC 2008

Hi David,

You're correct that LDAPS is deprecated.  I think most people would
encourage you to prefer StartTLS.
However, you may still want to use LDAPS in your environment depending
on what LDAP client applications your service will need to support.
Several LDAP client programs still only support LDAPS, or have no
support at all for transport layer security.  Your particular usage
scenario will be the most influential factor.  If your LDAP service will
be used with a variety of clients, odds are there's at least a few that
will only support LDAPS.

> Beside startTLS, what are some other popular LDAP authentication
> mechanisms that is widely use in today's enterprise world?

As far as FDS, check out the following:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_SSL.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/SASL.html
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation