[Fedora-directory-users] warnings in /var/log/secure

Aaron Bliss abliss at brockport.edu
Thu Apr 10 12:40:30 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,
I have several redhat 4 and 5 machines authenticating successfully
against our ldap servers.  I used authconfig to configure the clients
and everything works great, ssh, vsftp, etc.  However, for some reason,
I always see a log entry similar to the following in /var/log/secure,
even though the login works;
Apr 10 08:34:27 server1 sshd[30937]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication
failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=137.21.80.195
user=user1

Here is the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | grep -v \#

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap
hosts:      files dns
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files ldap