[Fedora-directory-users] register-ds-admin.pl

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 16:25:44 UTC 2008

Mister Anonyme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to follow the guidelines here:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Replication-Replicating-ADS-for-Failover.html
>
> And it doesn't work.
Can you be more specific?
> So, I did it in another way.
>
> On the first server, I created this inf file:
>
> ==================================
> [General]
> FullMachineName = firstserver.domain
> AdminDomain = domain
> SuiteSpotUserID = nobody
> SuiteSpotGroup = nobody
> ConfigDirectoryLdapURL = ldap://firstserver.domain:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> ConfigDirectoryAdminID = admin
> ConfigDirectoryAdminPwd = pass
>
> [admin]
> ServerAdminID = admin
> ServerAdminPwd = pass
> SysUser = nobody
> ServerIpAddress = 1.1.1.1
> Port = 9830
>
> [slapd]
> InstallLdifFile = suggest
> ServerIdentifier = firstserver
> ServerPort = 389
> AddOrgEntries = Yes
> RootDN = cn=Directory Manager
> RootDNPwd = pass
> SlapdConfigForMC = yes
> Suffix = dc=host, dc=domain
> UseExistingMC = 0
> AddSampleEntries = No
> =========================
>
> I ran like this:
> # /usr/sbin/setup-ds-admin.pl -s -f file.inf
>
> Then, I configured the replication in the console for the DB NetscapeRoot.
>
> On the second server, I created this inf file:
>
> ========
> [General]
> FullMachineName = secodserver.domain
> AdminDomain = domain
> SuiteSpotUserID = nobody
> SuiteSpotGroup = nobody
> ConfigDirectoryLdapURL = ldap://firstserver.domain:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> ConfigDirectoryAdminID = admin
> ConfigDirectoryAdminPwd = pass
>
> [admin]
> ServerAdminID = admin
> ServerAdminPwd = pass
> SysUser = nobody
> ServerIpAddress = 1.1.1.1
> Port = 9830
>
> [slapd]
> InstallLdifFile = suggest
> ServerIdentifier = secodserver
> ServerPort = 389
> AddOrgEntries = Yes
> RootDN = cn=Directory Manager
> RootDNPwd = pass
> SlapdConfigForMC = yes
> Suffix = dc=host, dc=domain
> UseExistingMC = 1
> AddSampleEntries = No
> ================
>
> As you can see, I installed the second server but it uses the
> Administrative Server on the first server.
You can't really do that.  The purpose of the Administration Server is
to provide a management agent on each machine.  This allows you to
remotely manage the directory server (e.g. start it remotely, and run
other CGIs, among other things).  A "remote Admin Server" doesn't make
sense.

> I created NetscapeRoot database on the second server and I configured
> the replication.
>
> Until now, it works very well.
>
> When I want to change the second server that to use its own
> Administrative Server, I ran this command on the second server:
You can't really do that.